Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Last Day of the First Year of Teaching......

Wow, who would have ever thought that my first year of teaching would be in a foreign country? Who would have ever thought that I would survive, excel at, and even really like teaching? Who would have thought that I would learn how to work successfully with all different types of people and even stick up for myself in times of need? Some of you might have had this faith in me (and I certainly appreciate it), but I have to say I seriously had my doubts.

Additionally, who would have thought that I could so integrate into a society that going home means having to shelter parts of myself that my family and friends there wouldn't understand? Simple words and phrases that I would use in my everyday speech, like "habibi," "shukran," and "ma mushkala," are lost on most Americans. I know that I will miss the Middle East, even for the short amount of time I'll be in America.

This year has truly been a roller coaster ride- and not one of those smooth, metal roller coasters; it was definitely a wooden one. I had to negotiate my friendships, my work identity, my living situation, and my contact with the world outside of Bahrain (and for some people, Bahrain really is a world of its own). It has, no doubt, been an adventure, and one I'm happy to say will be continuing next year.

Despite loving my new life in Bahrain, I certainly am thrilled that my position offers me a paid ticket home every year. It's kind of like I can have my cake and eat it, too. If they only respected their employees more, I'm sure I could make this a lifetime venture. Nevertheless, America offers a lot of perks that Bahrain does not: mini golf, root beer, good Mexican and Chinese food and the best pizza, health food stores and farmers' markets, second-hand stores, a huge variety of cultural events, lots of museums, New York City, and of course, my family.

I'll be happy to return home, and I'll be happy to come back. Once a new language, a new culture is opened, it can never be shut off, and it is entirely a part of who you are. I am indebted to all of the people who supported me getting here and all of the people who made Bahrain and the Middle East what it is for me. I look forward to learning more in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment