Monday, September 10, 2012

School: First Impressions

Well, we're full into the second week of school, and it's all just flying by! First impressions: 1. I love my kids. Period. 2. I think the people I work with are the nicest people in the world, full of kindness and compassion. 3. I think we are run by micro-managers, but they're not mean so I suppose I should be grateful and just learn to work with it and not against it. 4. The curriculum: I'll let you know when I figure it out myself. 5. Being a teacher, overall: not easy!

Today was probably my hardest day so far, and not because the kids misbehaved, there was general chaos or someone threw up in the hallway (that was yesterday). Today was difficult because I realized that I am not performing to the level I expect of myself and know I'm capable of. In fact, based on the realizations I had today, if I were an administrator, I would not hire myself. And that's a lot to take on.

Now, there are, of course, a lot of factors to take into account here. First of all, I'm working with two different curricula and two different teachers who have already taught these curricula. This sounds like it shouldn't be that hard, given that I have the curricula, some of the materials and two ladies who are very willing to help me succeed. What I realized today, however, is that I have not given myself any autonomy in my own classroom, and I've tried to be someone who I'm not. I've tried to fit into someone else's box, instead of creating common goals and assessments and planning the individual lessons in my own way from those goals and assessments. I've been floundering because I haven't understood what our goals are for the unit (or the year or anything) and all else means nothing without a sense of purpose.

With these realizations, I spent several hours tonight in the cafe here trying to pull together lesson plans for both 6th and 7th grades that have goals at the forefront of each. And I feel a little bit better. Tomorrow is a new day and, with a renewed sense of purpose, I feel like it will be better than today. And that's all I can ask for, isn't it?

In addition to school, life in general has been getting better. This weekend I went to a get-together at a private pool near city centre that is apparently the largest residential pool in Bahrain. I met two middle-eastern men who are now friends! Additionally, I got paid today! And I believe my outlets are actually working reasonably now (Water heater? Not sure yet). AND my TV is working! YES! I was actually able to see snippets of baseball, football (European and American), and news tonight as I ate my middle-eastern version of Raman noodles! Classy, eh?

So, overall, I have to be happy here in Bahrain. Life isn't that much different from home, I'm making friends, and I'm doing what I've been waiting three years to do: teach!


No comments:

Post a Comment